Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Ratatouille
















































Ah yes a recipe post! I'm so excited to share one of my favorite dishes that was popularized by the movie, Ratatouille. It's a rather easy vegetarian dish to make, especially if you have a mandolin! It's also one of my favorite dishes because it's just so pretty to make and yummy to eat.




Recipe:

Vegetables Used:

  • 1/2 onion 
  • 1/4 red pepper 
  • 1/2 fresh tomato
  • 1 large eggplant 
  • 1 medium zucchini 
  • 1 medium squash 
Dry Products:
  • 2 cans of tomato sauce 
  • dried oregano 
  • dried parsley 
  • dried basil 
  • pepper and salt to taste
  • 2 clove of garlic 
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil 
To start things off I sautéed a half onion and quarter red bell pepper in a little bit of butter - just until tender. Next I poured in two cans of tomato sauce and added the dried spices - let it simmer for a few minutes then add in the garlic, don't chop it, and once softened remove from the sauce. Now to the fun part! Cutting the veggies! Whether or not you have a mandolin I think this part is fun... Just cut your squash, zucchini and eggplant into thin slices, but not too thin and put aside. 

Pour the sauce into the bottom of your desired dish and then begin layering the veggies. I didn't do a pinwheel design, just a simple, yet equally as pretty horizontal pattern beginning with the eggplant followed by zucchini and squash. Lastly drizzle olive oil over the veggies! 

Bake at 375 degrees for roughly 45-50 minutes and ta-dah you have ratatouille! If you want to see a professional version, head over here.

all images via the blue bijou


















3 comments:

  1. I'd love to try this soon - I'm trying cut more meat out of my diet, so this would be another good option for dinner!
    The Style Scribe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! A must try! I love zucchini and summer squash! This looks delicious!

    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete